Thursday, January 18, 2018

Taking pride in your work


Here I am at it again, putting out content but I still find myself fearing critics and scared of being judged. I’m not sure if any other creatives have this same problem but I keep finding myself having so much to do but nothing substantial. If you think about the worthlessness of the things and the time and effort you use creating, it’s insane! I end up wondering if it’s even worth doing. At least one thing is for sure is that knowing the worth of something helps me prioritize and determine whether I should spend time on it or not.  

I have to admit that not being in a work setting has made my organization a lot more complicated. So, this year I am thinking of setting up projects to do on my own. That way, I can work on a lot and share, just to keep me busy. Lucky for me I have a platform to show some of my creative content.
Feel free to download some of my work on the links below:

As creative’s we have so much advantage now that we are able to gather viewers from all over the world to see our work. Example, just on this blog I get about 100 viewers on a post. So I shouldn’t really have an excuse as a creative for not creating and sharing work. It’s not like when I used to paint and had my work up at galleries. I would go back and check only to find them stashed somewhere in the back of a dead pile of deserted paintings. When I ask they would say they were rearranging, and there’s too many other paintings to put up. It was obvious none of my paintings were being seen or bought though I still find it challenging as an artist to break through the market now.

It’s interesting how we search for our value of work based on other people’s approvals. We lack the ability to determine our own value and appreciation of our work such that we find ourselves putting it alongside other people’s work so we can compare and hope ours will be picked over others. If there’s anything I have learned it’s, there’s enough room for all of us creatives digitally to make it. Digitally we’ve got a space where anyone in the web can showcase their work for anyone in the world to find. We no longer have to run the streets and look for spaces in galleries, we no longer have to search for audiences or make invites for people to come see what we’ve done. We no longer have to set specific times and dates for a limited amount of time to put out something. Now we get a chance to keep up our work for as long as we like on a digital platform and anyone anywhere can access it anytime.

The truth is that I hadn’t really thought about that before. It’s funny how we kind of sit there and hope someday someone will discover us. Kind of how Christopher Columbus one day discovered America or how Johann Ludwig Krapf discovered Mt. Kenya. As if they magically appeared. That notion of thinking only confirms that people don’t really see the value of things unless it’s emphasized upon. Makes me wonder why we seek approval from other people for the value of our things as if their opinions of our things are much more important to us than our own opinions. Like what makes one thing more valuable than the other? Take gold or diamonds for instance, as opposed to Amethyst? Is it because someone else decided its importance for us and the whole lot kind of just went with it? How do we sit down through a critic’s choice award and give awards based on someone’s critics knowing very well after watching some of those movies ourselves we liked nothing about them? All I’m trying to say at the end of the day, it’s all about taking pride in your work. Not everyone will appreciate it but at least you do. I mean you took the time and effort to create it, so you might as well take pride in it.

Check out an old post I did on My value and self-worth

I took a lot of elephant amazing shots last year, some of which are on my portfolio and made a digital calendar for the year. So if you are interested in the digital copy of this Spinkly Calendar for this year (2018) you can buy it below for a dollar and it will be sent to you email. 


No comments:

Post a Comment